Saturday, October 28, 2006

Kampai (The working spirit of Japanese?)

I am new here. Too new to know many things about people`s culture. Therefore many impressions surely can be wrong. Just a bit of sharing and therefore comments are appreciated.

As far as I am concerned I have been amazed with the habitual way of life existing here.
Working until late in the night, queing to get into the Densha (Train), reading in side the train, drinking in the weekend and so on might be a routine one has.

Nevertheless, the first time I joined my lab I was welcomed with a small lab party. A short word shouted by Sensei kicked off the party, "Kampaii!", said by him. The rest of us, including me, followed loudly saying the same word while toasting our glasses full of either beer, sake, japanese green tea, water or whatsoever. That word was also like heat that was warming up as well as being an ice breaker for all of us.

All in all, Kampai seems to be a word describing how the Japanese have a great dedicasion to they work.

Kampaii!!

@Oubaku

2 comments:

TJ said...

He Saut, nice blog!! Keep us updated with all the Japanese habits!! very intresting!

Saut said...

Hi TJ,

thanks for dropping by. I surely will publish more. For I myself this is very new situation and interesting experience.